Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tutorial Tuesday: Geometric Glittered Throw Pillow

I'm having a very productive week! I got this and part of another project done, I've been going strong on my art challenge, did my blog planning for the month, and made a list of things I needed and found everything at Goodwill for pretty cheap. Today I want to share this modern and sparkly throw pillow I made!

It looks like a pillow you'd find in a genie's lamp or a wizard's den. I love that in my decor items.

Supplies:


  • Scissors
  • Pins
  • Sewing needle
  • Paint brush
  • Embroidery thread (2 skeins)
  • 2 1/2 ft. fabric
  • Matching thread
  • Stuffing
  • Thin masking tape
  • Assorted glitter
  • Fabric Mod Podge
  • Plastic cups bowls
    Not Pictured:
  • Sewing Machine
  • Something round, like a plate

Step 1:  I made my pillow 12" X 12" so I just used a standard piece of scrapbook paper for my pattern and added 1/2 an inch around for seam allowance. Then I cut it out.


I used my disappearing ink pen for this part, great tool!


Step 2: Draw a circle in the center of your pillow that takes up the majority of the pillow.
Then use the masking tape to make a random fractured pattern.


Step 3: Now the fun part! Portion some mod podge into your cups/bowls/plastic containers.

Add one color of glitter to each container and mix.


Paint your glitter concoction onto the section you desire. Repeat til the whole circle is covered.

When its all dry see if it needs another coat, if not add a finishing layer of 'podge and let it dry. When its all dry you can peel your tape off and see the awesome design!
Ohhhhh, Ahhhhhh! Sparkly :)

Step 4: Pin the two squares right sides together and sew around with a 1/2 in. inseam.

 Stop 2-3 inches from where you started.


Step 5: Make 4 tassels out of your embroidery thread. I used half a hank for each tassel.

Step 6: Turn your pillow inside out and sew your tassels onto the all the corners except the one closest to the hole.



Step 7: Stuff your pillow, starting at the corners and working your way inward.

 When all stuffed, hand sew the hole closed and then  sew on your final tassel!



Looks great on our couch!


I was so proud of the Marble for her participation in today's tutorial, my treat/camera association is slowly but surely catching on.

I love the feel of the glitter on the fabric, and I really want to experiment with it more. I'm thinking it could work on shirts, dresses, purses, you name it!

What fabric would you glitter?


Til Next Time,






P.S. I linked here:
Dream a Little Bigger


Kreative Creationz

4 comments:

  1. LOVE this!!! Have you had any issues with the glitter shedding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks! Me too.
      Not yet! I've used fabric mod podge to make glitter shoes before and they don't seem to shed either, but I suppose I can't be sure because I don't check behind myself for a glitter trail.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! It really makes my living room brighter and more magical!

      Delete