Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Tutorial Wednesday: Conversation Heart Mugs

I've been on a mug making kick lately thanks to Dishwasher safe Mod Podge and this project I have for you today is another A+ if I say so myself! I love the look of those chalky heart candies (a lot more than I like eating them) and when I saw sticker versions at work I knew what I had to do.

Although it's a little late to get one done in time for this V-Day, you could always start early for next year!

Supplies:
  1. This template (must be printed from laser printer)
  2. Mug
  3. Conversation heart stickers (or small paper ones)
  4. Dishwasher-safe Mod Podge
  5. Foam brush
  6. Scissors 
  7. Rubbing alcohol
  8. Cotton ball

Step 1: Clean your mug with rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball. Once your surface is clean and dry arrange your stickers on the mug.

Mod Podge over them when all the hearts are in place.


Step 2: Cut out your heart you'd like to use as the "centerpiece" of the mug.


Apply Mod Podge to the back of your heart. Apply it to the mug and make sure to do it smoothly so no air bubbles are trapped. Also make sure all the edges of the heart are firmly pressed down or else water could get inside and ruin the heart/whole mug.

Gently apply a top layer of Mod Podge over the front of the heart. Don't scrub with your brush or else the color may come off. The color won't smear due to it being laser printed, but I used regular thin printer paper and it behaved as such when wet.

Now it's just a waiting process! Dishwasher safe mod podge requires 30 days of curing so mark your calendars!


Although I like having the big heart on the front as a focus I think a mug made completely with the small hearts would be adorable too!

Oliver wanted to get in on the holiday fun. Since he's an ex-feral he pretty much tries to eat anything and the candy hearts were no exception. This was his face after licking one though. No bueno says Ollie.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone ! I hope you make some of these with your loved ones or for them!

Til Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment